Creating custom wireless headphones
One part AIAIAI, one part Sennheiser and another part Nils
I built my own custom Frankenstein headphones from my AIAIAI TMA-2 Wireless and my trusty Sennheiser HD25’s. Here’s why and how.
As a music enthusiast I was unsatisfied with the sound signature of current wireless offerings by Sony, Bose and the likes. And while the preset AIAIAI headphones look great, I had trouble getting used to its sound signature as well. Being a designer, I decided it was time to merge my trusty Sennheiser HD 25’s with the AIAIAI wireless headband. I designed the cups that would enclose the drivers of my HD25’s, soldered new female 3.5mm jacks to the contraption and hooked them up. There it was, sound!
After several tries – 3D printing something that fits snugly usually takes a few – the first version of a wireless headphone was born. While printed in PLA, and with a consumer grade FDM printer (Prusa i3+), it provided to be a good enough overall experience for about a year. After that the material started cracking and showing its wear. As our new Prusa SL1 had just arrived, we now had the possibility to print with resin, which enabled a see-through design and decreased the likeliness of cracking at the same time.
After slight modifications to the ratchet system, I was able to print the resin cups. The resin turned out to not be as clear as expected, and needed a little help of a clear coat and some polish (JIF/CIF works great for this) to become truly see-through, but the end result is absolutely what I’d hoped for.
If you’d like to replicate this project, you can download the 3D models for free.